[systemd-devel] Is there a general inittab entry replacement available?

Joachim Banzhaf joachim.banzhaf at googlemail.com
Tue May 22 12:27:34 PDT 2012

Hi,

I found out about systemd because openSUSE uses it now.
I read the annoncement and the three updates of it and some more and can
say I like systemd a lot.
It just seems to be the right way to do process/service management.

As it happens I also like IBM DB2 a lot (for other reasons).
DB2 is closed source (I hope you dont stop reading now) and it installs
an inittab entry.

fmc:2345:respawn:/opt/ibm/db2/V10.1/bin/db2fmcd #DB2 Fault Monitor
Coordinator

You know that this does no longer work.

I guess the details how such processes are started with SysV init
(environment, time of first start, how to respawn, ...) are common or
even standardized, and from what I read so far I think it can be easily
modeled with systemd for someone knowing SysV init and systemd a little
better than me.
I found some getty examples but I must admit I failed to understand all
the details yet.

Inittab is a very old, very widely spread concept so I have hope you
even have thought about porting something like this in a generic way
already and I just failed to find it?

Thought I ask before I try to reinvent the wheel in a try and error
fashion :)