[systemd-devel] Is there a general inittab entry replacement available?

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue May 22 12:42:30 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Joachim Banzhaf
<joachim.banzhaf at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I found out about systemd because openSUSE uses it now.
> I read the annoncement and the three updates of it and some more and can
> say I like systemd a lot.
> It just seems to be the right way to do process/service management.
>
> As it happens I also like IBM DB2 a lot (for other reasons).
> DB2 is closed source (I hope you dont stop reading now) and it installs
> an inittab entry.
>
> fmc:2345:respawn:/opt/ibm/db2/V10.1/bin/db2fmcd #DB2 Fault Monitor
> Coordinator
>
> You know that this does no longer work.
>
> I guess the details how such processes are started with SysV init
> (environment, time of first start, how to respawn, ...) are common or
> even standardized, and from what I read so far I think it can be easily
> modeled with systemd for someone knowing SysV init and systemd a little
> better than me.
> I found some getty examples but I must admit I failed to understand all
> the details yet.
>
> Inittab is a very old, very widely spread concept so I have hope you
> even have thought about porting something like this in a generic way
> already and I just failed to find it?
>
> Thought I ask before I try to reinvent the wheel in a try and error
> fashion :)

No there is no support for inittab.

All proper services started by systemd can behave the way like inittab
provided in the past. But they need systemd .service files.

Should be trivial to manually write and add a service file for the
above mentioned use case, there is no built-in support in systemd.

Kay