[systemd-devel] Help with pam_systemd..

Shawn Ferris shawn.ferris at gmail.com
Sun May 27 09:59:44 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Kok, Auke-jan H
<auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com> wrote:

>>> Ok.. thanks Auke! I guess I'm a little surprised that having a
>>> user@<username>.service and all that jazz is a requirement just to get
>>> a simple shell. I'll give it a shot though. Appreciate the patience!
>
> so specifically for that part, I haven't done anything yet to "glue"
> systemd --user
> to each and every login shell, and I actually would not prefer to do this right
> now.

Honestly, it's not my interest to tie the two together either. I'm
just trying to figure out the appropriate place to add pam_systemd.
Looking at my fedora installation, it would indicate that it's added
nearly system wide, regardless if user at .service is enabled. Obviously,
when I do that, I'm locked out of my pandaboard..

It seems that the only appropriate place for this (for me) is
'systemd-shared' as defined by ' PAMName' in user at .service. Otherwise,
I can't have a hybrid system where I have system --user working and
still be able to log in interactively under any ID, including root.

Even with the 'systemd --user' working correctly, I'm still unable to
login to a shell if pam_systemd is in my login pam file. Shrug.. I'm
fine with having the vars set in my profile, so I'm good now that
services are started under the user session.

Regards,
Shawn