[systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] fstab now parsed by generator in systemd git

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 3 13:49:40 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Peter Sztan at 03/11/12 11:03 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> В Tue, 22 May 2012 20:03:40 +0200
>> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> пишет:
>>
>>> Heya,
>>>
>>> just a quick heads-up. I just commited to git some work that rips out
>>> the fstab parsing from PID 1 and places this in a generator instead.
>>> The idea is that sooner or later we only parse native unit files from
>>> PID 1, and everything else is transformed as needed with generators.
>>> This makes the core a bit smaller and simplifies a lot of things.
>>>

>> Sorry for picking up old stuff, but I'm, catching up with mail and did
>> not see answer in follow up discussion.
>>
>> So how systemd is supposed to be informed about changes to /etc/fstab
>> during run-time? What partition tools need to do to ensure the same
>> state after creating new partition(s) that system would have after
>> reboot?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> -andrey
>
> a simple daemon-reload should be enough, as the generators get re-ran
> at that time

Not only that but IIRC systemctl will even warn you if /etc/fstab has
been updated since the daemon was last reloaded (similar to when you
edit a unit file on disk but don't reload PID 1) due to the following in
the generated units:

[Unit]
SourcePath=/etc/fstab

Col