[systemd-devel] Significant speedup of systemd boot time with CONFIG_HZ=1000

Oester Jonas (CM-AI/PJ-CF31) Jonas.Oester at de.bosch.com
Fri Nov 9 02:39:40 PST 2012

> For a while, I was rather unhappy with the boot times I was seeing,
> but after changing CONFIG_HZ from 100 to 1000, that changed
> dramatically.

> There is also a rather peculiar delay between the startup of several
> services (dev-mqueue.mount, systemd-random-seed-load.service, etc)
> which is very regular.  Not sure why this happens.
>
> Does anyone have any insights into why we have this huge difference?

CONFIG_PREEMPT is not enabled in your kernel configuration; in that case system performance is highly dependent on how often the scheduler runs (for some workloads at least). The delay between services most likely comes from the interaction between systemd and cgroup controllers (cf. http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/cgroups-vs-cgroups.html, which has further suggestions for how you might want to configure your kernel).

--
Jonas Öster

Robert Bosch Car Multimedia GmbH
Platform software (CM-AI/PJ-CF31)
Postfach
31132 Hildesheim
GERMANY
www.bosch.com

Tel. +49 5121 49 4716
jonas.oester at de.bosch.com

Registered Office: Hildesheim, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Hildesheim HRB 201334
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dirk Hoheisel;
Managing Directors: Uwe Thomas;
Michael Bolle, Robby Drave, Egbert Hellwig