[systemd-devel] Heavy IO -- need help on how to debug

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 03:13:21 PST 2012

Yesterday my system was slow and I checked iotop: systemd-journal was
using 99% IO (but not CPU). I haven't restarted the machine, but kill
systemd-journal didn't help, the process would respawn -- as expected
-- and resume the heavy IO).

I disabled storage ("Storage=none") and restarted the service. It
helped a lot, but I still get the ocasional slow down -- though a lot
less severe.

iotop output (idle prio is because I did a ionice -c3 on it):
23616 idle root        3.14 M/s   14.86 K/s  0.00 % 99.62 % systemd-journald

$ df -h
rootfs           15G   11G  4,1G  72% /

System: up-to-date Fedora 17, x86
$ sudo rpm -qa systemd*
systemd-sysv-44-21.fc17.i686
systemd-44-21.fc17.i686
systemd-analyze-44-21.fc17.i686

What else can I do to debug what is going on next time it happens?

Thanks in Advance,
--
Pedro Francisco