[systemd-devel] cgroup use case for preventing a system lock up if say a browser exhausts memory

Kai Hendry hendry at iki.fi
Sun Nov 11 20:54:12 PST 2012

Hi there,

I hope this is the right forum for a systemd question, to address a
particular problem I'm trying to solve.

Problem is I've found Firefox (for example, this probably can be
extrapolated to any browser) to lock up machines when memory is
exhausted. Ideally when the browser hits a certain limit (only 5% of
free RAM left), Firefox is killed and restarted, to solve my
particular kiosk use case.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues/83

I've looked and tested varying unsatisfactory solutions and since I'm
an Archlinux user who has been put onto systemd (tbh I'm impressed), I
was eager to know if systemd can help.

I can't help but notice how busy my `mount` looks now: http://ix.io/3nt

I've done a quick couple of searches trying to find how to use cgroups
for controlling limits with systemd and I'm still in the dark. I was
half expecting a service file example to have a resource limit stanza.

Am I looking in the right place? Many thanks,