[systemd-devel] [RFC/PATCH] journal over the network

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 19 17:26:29 PST 2012

On Mon, 19.11.12 11:14, Thomas Bächler (thomas at archlinux.org) wrote:

> Am 19.11.2012 01:21, schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
> > They are parsed and stored
> > into a journal file. The journal file is /var/log/journal/external-*.journal
> > by default, but this can be overridden by commandline options (--output).
>
> What about /var/log/$MACHINE_ID/, isn't it the right place for these?

I doubt we can do that. The machine ID isn't really something people
might want to specify on the command line. But if it isn't specified on
the command line we'd have to get this data from the remote host, but
that host we only trust enough to pull out its data, but we cannot allow
it to choose the file path where we store things in, because that it
could use to overwrite data from other hosts (including our local one)
by simply pretending that some specific machine ID was his, which
actually isn't.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.