[systemd-devel] Systemd in LXC container

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 19 17:54:19 PST 2012

On Fri, 16.11.12 13:05, Alexander Vladimirov (alexander.idkfa.vladimirov at gmail.com) wrote:

> Using recommendations here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/systemd-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg06972.html
> and updated lxc-archlinux template I have managed to run (almost)
> unmodified Arch Linux installation in container.
> This exposed a couple of problems in systemd.
> The first one is: systemd goes through /proc/self/mountinfo entries to
> perform unmount actions on shutdown. when running in container, it contains
> root filesystem entry, which systemd fails to unmount, resulting in unclean
> shutdown.

Well, how that? the root fs should be owned by the host, so be unmounted
by it later on?

> I was able to fix it using simple patch (http://pastie.org/5380592) which
> makes systemd ignore root mount when running in container.

Hmm, the code in mount_points_list_umount() in umount.c already exlcudes
/ and /usr from all unmounting?

> The second issue is journald reporting journal corruption on every
> container boot, regardless of clean shutdown. This also happens when I
> bind-mount hosts journal directory into container.

Hmm, this is interesting. Do you see any messages about journal shutting
down in the journal?

> Can anyone provide any insights on how can I find out what causes journal
> corruption?

I'll try to reproduce this here.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.