[systemd-devel] WISHLIST: systemd git-like CLI/ui/command interface

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Nov 22 05:30:16 PST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen at err.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:12:16 +0100
Subject: Re: WISHLIST: systemd git-like CLI/ui/command interface
To: Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net>

]] Zenaan Harkness

Hi,

> Not sure where to send this. I emailed what might be LP.
> Pls use as appropriate.
>
> When I see
> systemctl status ...
> systemd-journalctl
> systemd-analyze ...
> systemd-cgls
>
> it looks like a messy version of what git does (git ls, git add, git
> clone, etc).
> Git started that way too, and eventually brought sanity to the
> git-world with the top-level cli-ui as we have today.
>
> I suggest systemd ought do the same, preferably sooner rather than
> later (it is still early days for many distros, eg such as Debian
> which I am on).

If you want this, please take it upstream, to the
systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org mailing list.  It's not something
I'll implement in the Debian package.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen

----
So, I propose, just like git has a clean front-end, the following
cli/ui as a similarly clean front end for systemd:
syd status ...
syd jctl ...  # jctl might be a "git alias" of syd journalctl...
syd cgls
syd halt|reboot|restart|start|stop
syd cgtop
syd nspawn