[systemd-devel] logind: multiseat without framebuffer graphic cards

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Nov 24 14:59:03 PST 2012

On Sat, 24.11.12 22:34, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> > "seat-master" sounds like a good name for this. I'd be happy to merge a
> > patch that changes logind so that it watches for devices tagged with
> > this, and spawns an X server the moment such a device appears.
>
> Speaking of which, is there any reason the gdm does the seat watching
> right now and takes care of spawning new seats... Shouldn't systemd
> start gdm in the same way it starts getty's? i.e. via a templated unit?
> getty at tty1.service, gdm at tty2.service etc.?
>
> Or is this exactly what you're suggesting?

Well, that's a fundamental question whether you want one display manager
instance managing all seats, or many instances, one for each seat.

Both approaches are valid. However I'd vote for the
one-dm-rules-them-all approach because it's how we always did things,
and is probably a bit nicer, since for multi-session seats where
fast-user-switching is allowed you probably want a single daemon which
properly handles tty switches. And if you have a single daemon managing
multiple sessions on the same seat, then it's probably a good idea to
just make it manage multiple sessions on many seats, too.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.