[systemd-devel] Force rotating the journal?

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Nov 28 03:29:51 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Apostolos Bartziokas
<barz621 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The journal on my system doesn't respect the SystemMaxUse parameter in
> /etc/systemd/journald.conf. I set in 30M and it has grown to 70M.
>
> The solution i found is to manually delete the journal folder but this is a
> somehow "brute force" solution and i don't like it. So is there a more
> "elegant" way of doing this?
>
> Sorry for the simple question on this list and thanks in advance.

Try sending it a signal:
  http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-journald.service

Also note, that older versions of the journal did not always handle
rotation correctly. Depends on the distribution how many fixes they
backport.

Kay