[systemd-devel] journal space requirements

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Nov 29 04:22:40 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek at 29/11/12 11:48 did
gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:37:26AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So a couple complaints/queries are beginning trickling in regarding
>> journal space requirements.
>>
>> A user was complaining that rotated journals were taking up too much
>> room and they could be compressed down etc. I did explain that a rotated
>> journal is really any different to the current journal other than it can
>> be sealed, but I do fear he has some kind of point regarding long term
>> storage.
>>
>> Should there be some kind of journal archiver system that will run xz -9
>> on older journals? Is this something that's being planned or is it left
>> as an exercise for the reader to implement such long term
>> storage/archiving systems?
>
> systemd-journal-remote can be used (when merged) to rewrite journal
> files, so the tools are mostly there.  Nevertheless, the data in
> .journal files should already be compressed with XZ (if enabled), so I
> doubt that that would gain much. Do you have some statistics about
> the gains from the additional external XZ compression?

Hmmm, I wonder if I've missed something obvious in my build then.

I just took a cleanly rotated journal of 18M in size and it compressed
down to 4M... might be time to look at the build requires :D

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie