[systemd-devel] ExecRestart

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 09:36:32 PST 2012

Brandon Black <blblack at gmail.com> wrote:
> The daemon's "fast restart" code does all of the expensive startup
> operations in the new daemon first (e.g. parsing large data input), then
> signals the existing daemon to shut itself down, waits for it to release
> its critical resources (e.g. sockets, pidfile), and finally takes over
> those resources and finishes starting itself.   Basically it's using the
> overlap to avoid long service downtimes during that initial parsing phase
> (and if that parsing fails, it leaves the old daemon running to boot).

This is not what a restart means in systemd world. What you described is just a nice way to do a reload. However, as the main pid changes during this reload, please be careful - several years ago that would hit an assertion in systemd, and due to my aziness I have not verified the fix.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
Sent from Nokia N900