[systemd-devel] XDM and systemd --user

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 1 02:55:14 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek at 01/10/12 09:42 did
gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 09:02:11PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Kok, Auke-jan H at 28/09/12 20:09 did gyre and gimble:
>>> 1) people should fix 'make' to just allow `-j` without an argument
>>> (seriously, dude ;^) )
>>
>> Going dangerously off-topic, but two points:
>>
>> If you're using -j I've always gone under the impression you want the
>> value to be #cores+1, not #cores. That way you keep your machine working
>> full tilt.
>>
>> But regardless, why not use "make -l" anyway? This way it's tied to
>> system load which is likely a more prudent method to decide whether or
>> not new make jobs are issued - e.g. if you happen to be running a make
>> process that is io-intensive, you likely want to run less of them, but
>> if you've got a couple jobs one of which is io intensive then some of
>> your cpu cores might be mostly idle... -l should allow you to max things
>> out better.
>
> Yeah, -l seems better. But than you still want a load of #cores+1, no?
> And -l requires an argument too, so it has exactly the same
> inconvinience as -j.

I thought -l was based on the Load Average of the system which is
separate from #cores. So if I like keeping my LA below 1.5, I'd just use
-l 1.5. and this wouldn't really matter how many cores I have. That
said, I'm prepared to be wrong here as I've not really read up about it
much! :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie