[systemd-devel] when will mount / df get fixed?

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 04:29:13 PDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 07:36:54PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> you missunderstood me
>
> that all mount are in the output is OK
> BUT all the years there was a hint taht it is a bind-mount
> since systemd/F15 there is no difference

 There is no difference. The "bind" is an operation, not a special
 state of any mountpoint. Nowhere in the system is information that
 the mountpoint has been created by "bind" -- the kernel does not
 see any difference between the original and bind mount. It's just
 another reference to the same object (device).

    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt1
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt2

 is exactly the same as:

    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt1
    mount --bind /mnt1 /mnt2

 We should not care about "bind" flag in mtab (or another place) at
 all. The solution is to de-duplicate df(1) output.

 It's fine to blame systemd guys for all the bad things in the World,
 but kill the original mtab concept was planned independently on
 systemd.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>