[systemd-devel] Launching a unit in response to a D-Bus signal

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 04:58:46 PDT 2012

I have a requirement to restart squid whenever the VPN goes up or
down[1]. Reading around, it seems that the way to do this would be in
response to the relevant D-Bus signal, which seems to be this one:

signal sender=:1.6 -> dest=(null destination) serial=269
path=/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2;
interface=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Connection;
member=VpnStateChanged

I expected that systemd would allow me to do this, but as far as I can
tell it doesn't (I'm using F17). I can obviously write my own daemon to
do this, but it seems to me that a daemon just for this would be a
waste. I think this sounds like a good fit for systemd. Is it anything
anybody's looked at?

Thanks,

Matt

[1] It's not directly relevant to this post, but the reason is that
squid doesn't pick up the new nameservers until it's restarted.

P.S. I'm not subscribed.
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490