[systemd-devel] nfs mounts and the "nofail" option

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 1 05:58:12 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 30/09/12 14:03 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> As we've discussed the semantics of (specifically) nfs mounts with the
> nofail option, it seems that latest libmount+nfs-utils do not handle the
> nofail option between them which causes mount failures if it's specified
> in the fstab.
>
> The following patch to util-linux tells libmount to strip off the nofail
> option before handing it to the mount helper, but perhaps this is too
> general and some mount helpers for different filesystems need to nofail
> option to be passed through?
>
> An alternative is simply to tech nfs-utils about the option.
>
> Question is: Which is the correct approach?

The answer appears to be "neither, just compile nfs-utils against
libmount with the --enable-libmount-mount option" which seems to neatly
solve the problem (and other one I had too).

Thanks Karel for the pointer :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie