[systemd-devel] when will mount / df get fixed?

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 07:22:07 PDT 2012

2012/10/1 Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:

> Am 01.10.2012 15:47, schrieb Peeters Simon:
>>> so we are turning around in circles
>>> there is a bugreport from 2011-05-31 09:19:30 EDT
>>> there where many posts more than a year ago on devel-lists
>>>
>>> YOU say "discuss with coreutils-people"
>>> THEY say "requested by systemd guys"
>>
>> They are right in that the change was requested by systemd, because it
>> is the only decent fix to prevent /etc/mtab of getting out of sync.
>
> ah and systemd is right because it worked over decades?
> do not fix things that ain't broken
>
>> But this does not mean that systemd _BROKE_ anything.
>> IMHO the behavior of df and mount is 100% correct, and if you
>> disagree, discus this with there developers.
>
> surely, it broke the over decades useful output of "df"

If you had read the link to the mailing list posted in the bug you
refered to you would know that it is the kernel developers there
intention to have this behavior, not systemd's
(http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=f84e3f52
speaks about /etc/mtab as a symlink to /proc/mounts, which dates from
February 2008, way before systemd was significant or even existed)

So stop annoying the crap out of me. And speak to the people who have
something to do with this, _NOT_ systemd.