[systemd-devel] when will mount / df get fixed?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Oct 2 07:50:54 PDT 2012

Am 02.10.2012 16:13, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Sat, 29.09.12 18:28, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:
> there is really no need to word your questions the way you are doing. I
> will ban you from this mailing list if you don't stop being so dramatic
> and insulting.

seems like people on mailing-lists are a little hypersensitive

> The simple fact is that systemd was merely the messenger of something
> that has changed in the kernel long ago. Don't yell at the messenger.

guys in bugreports are saying the change came from
systemd-guys - so as user i believe them

> To me it appears that the right fix is to patch df to coalesce the lines
> of the various mount points of the same backing fs. it should just show
> them as the rightmost column, comma separated, and if there are too
> many, it should just allipsize the list instead of showing them all.

no need for any additional output
df = DISK free
mount = mounts

> Anyway, this is mostly something between coreutils and the kernel, and
> the way how df parses and presents the information of the
> kernel. systemd has no role in this. Please (politely!) ask the
> coreutils maintainers to coalesce mounts like this.

the problem here is that since more than a year and
TWO fedora-releases averybody is pointig to another one
and nobody feels responsible nor cares really

>> will this behavior get fixed in my lifetime?
>> the alias for "df" is a dirty solution
>
> Try being constructive for once: if there's an itch you really want to
> have scratched then there's always the option to just fix it yourself
> and send a patch upstream. This is how open source works, after all.

if i could i would have done a year ago

i am web-developer and in this category i write EVERY
single piece of software and library by myself since many
years to avoid random incomaptible changes and troubles
with lazy developers not compatible with recent php on
dist-upgrades

and yes i am doing this for some hundret domains since
2003, fully automated updates and a 100% clean codebase
with not a single behavior change for existing projects
and modules on error_reporting E_STRICT in prodcution

that's the way i work and there it does not matter if
i get paied for a piece of work or doing it just for
fun - the quality and NERVER BEAK BEHAVIOR is always
the same

the big difference is that if breakage is needed i feel
also resposible to wait until all depedning pieces of
code are prepared, migrations in any direction are running
100% perfect and no matter how long it takes - finally
you will see a update with party dramatical changes in
API's but without any beahvior change for a user or any
warning/error message

> Anyway, please stop posting things in the style you are posting them in
> here. This is not LKML, and in contrast to LKML we do not reward
> insulting people here.

if i would not have made and commented two bugreports
more than a year ago with no reaction for a behavior
change which never should have happened this way with
no other reaction than different developers are pointing
in different directions and nobody feels resposible i would
not have written any message