[systemd-devel] journalctl and entries from the initramfs

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 2 08:12:00 PDT 2012

On Thu, 27.09.12 01:49, Malte Starostik (lists at malte.homeip.net) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after upgrading from 189 to 192, I noticed journalctl will no longer include
> the journal entries from the initramfs bootup unless -m is passed.
> Assuming this is caused by this 190-change:
>
>         * journalctl will only show local log output by default
>           now. Use --merge (-m) to show remote log output, too.
>
> makes me wonder if that's an intended side effect or more of a bug?  i.e. is
> early userspace officially included in "remote" or should its ephemeral machine-
> id maybe be special cased to show up even without -m?
> I guess building the initramfs as hostonly would fix this surprise as
> /etc/machine-id is then copied from the host, but hostonly implies many
> unwanted things.

Hmm, let me understand this right: do you use persistent journal logging
(i.e. do you have /var/log/journal around?). If so journald should have
flushed *all* of /run/log/journal to /var/log/journal after /var became
available.

If you are not using persistent logging, then I grok the problem, but in
that case maybe the fix is to simply enable persistent logging?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.