[systemd-devel] logind lid default configuration feedback

Jiří Procházka ojirio at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:50:39 PDT 2012

Greetings,
I'm here to complain about a bad decision to default configuration keys
HandleLidSwitch to suspend (instead of ignore) and
LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited to yes (instead of no).
Many of users use desktop environments handle this action and its
configuration (like XFCE in my case). Aside of rather obvious point of
overlap of responsibilities, which is a problem rather diplomatical and
hard to solve - not point of my call, the problem I have is that
Systemd's Logind makes a certain assumption about user wants and forces
it down on them. Not everyone wants their laptop to suspend to RAM when
the lid is close. After an update of my system (which in this case
brought logind on) I expected my system to work at least like it worked
before (if not better), respecting my configuration choices, I closed my
laptop lid and walked away for an hour or so, I expected it to crunch
data, I lost that time due to bad logind default config decision,
fortunately not that a big deal, but the principle holds. I hope any new
software developments will have more of that respect.

Best Regards,
Jiri Prochazka