[systemd-devel] Problems with name_to_handle_at

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 8 09:59:05 PDT 2012

On Mon, 08.10.12 18:26, Michael Olbrich (m.olbrich at pengutronix.de) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> compiling the latest systemd fails with:
> [...]
> src/shared/path-util.c: In function 'path_is_mount_point':
> src/shared/path-util.c:348:10: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> src/shared/path-util.c:350:9: warning: implicit declaration of function 'name_to_handle_at' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
> src/shared/path-util.c:368:10: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> [...]
>
> >From what I can tell the problem is the following:
>
> The configure check for name_to_handle_at is successful because the system
> call exists. However, the headers for the used architecture (powerpc) do
> not define 'name_to_handle_at()' and 'struct file_handle'.
>
> I'm not sure what to use instead of AC_CHECK_FUNCS.

This really looks like something to fix in libc. I mean, supporting
libcs with and without this function makes sense, but supporting an
(obviously broken/contradicting) glibc that exposes it as symbols but
not in the headers (or vice versa) is another thing. I'd really prefer
if this would be fixed in libc.

Hope this makes sense,

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.