[systemd-devel] when will mount / df get fixed?

Marti Raudsepp marti at juffo.org
Wed Oct 10 02:48:32 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at inai.de> wrote:
>>and how they should do this after the change that there
>>is no flag? dispaly a RANDOM line?
>
> That is a possibility. Based upon that you are only interested
> in the device anyway, I conclude the mountpoint is irrelevant.

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has already been proposed, but...
1) we want df to show space usage by disk
2) we want df to show mount points
3) the mapping from disks to mount points is one-to-many

Why not just collect all the relevant mount points on one line, for
each disk? This way we don't throw away any information, but prevent
repeating redundant information that's always the same for each disk.

Using the original example this would look something like:
Filesystem     Size  Used Avail  Use% Mounted on
/dev/md2       3.5T  2.1T  1.3T   62% /mnt/data, /home, /tmp,
/var/tmp, /Volumes/dune/www-servers,
/Volumes/dune/www-servers/phpincludes

And maybe for console output, the mount point column should be split
on multiple lines based on terminal width (disabled for non-tty output
for greppability)...

Filesystem     Size  Used Avail  Use% Mounted on
/dev/md2       3.5T  2.1T  1.3T   62% /mnt/data, /home, /tmp, /var/tmp,
                                      /Volumes/dune/www-servers,
                                      /Volumes/dune/www-servers/phpincludes

Regards,
Marti