[systemd-devel] Too little information is shown when system enters emergency mode

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 23 07:58:46 PDT 2012

On Sun, 21.10.12 15:59, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Welcome to emergency mode. Use "systemctl default" or ^D to enter default mode.
> Give root password for login:

systemd 195 will now also mention "journalctl -b" in this
message. Originally this was only in the rescue mode, because of the
assumption that if you boot directly to emergency mode then no logs
would be in the journal, and hence no point in recommending this
command. However, after all most of the times people will end up in
emergency mode is when file systems not showing up where journald *is*
actually running and includes the desired, useful information.

> Started /boot/efi                                                      [  OK  ]
> Dependency failed. Aborted start of /mnt                               [ ABORT]
> Dependency failed. Aborted start of Login Service                      [ ABORT]
> Dependency failed. Aborted start of D-Bus System Message Bus           [ ABORT]
> Welcome to emergency mode. Use "systemctl default" or ^D to enter default mode.

Hmm, we definitely should show the initial unit that failed in this
output.

Can you restest with 195 please? If you find that there's information
missing in "journalctl -b" or in the status output, then please file a
bug, we really should place useful information at both.

Thanks,

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.