[systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Oct 27 12:37:54 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-27 at 19:44 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Michael H. Warfield at 26/10/12 18:18 did gyre and
> gimble:
> > What the hell is this?  /var/run is symlinked to /run and is mounted
> > with a tmpfs.

> Yup, that's how /var/run and /run is being handled these days.

> It provides a consistent space to pass info from the initrd over to the
> main system and has various other uses also.

Interesting.  I hadn't considered that aspect of it before.  Very
interesting.

> If you want to ensure files are created in this folder, just drop a
> config file in to /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/ in the package in question. See
> man systemd-tmpfiles for more info.

NOW THAT is something else I needed to know about!  Thank you very very
much!  Learned something new.  This whole thing has been a massive
learning experience getting this container kick started.

> Could be some packages are not fully upgraded to this concept in F17. As
> a non-fedora user, I can't really comment on that specifically.

As it turns out, the kernel has had some of our patches applied that I
wasn't aware of vis-a-vis reboot/halt and this should no longer be an
issue.  I'm still struggling with the tmpfs on /dev thing and have run
into a catch-22 with regards to that.  I can mount tmpfs on /dev just
fine and can populate it just fine in a post mount hook but, then, we're
trying to mount a devpts file system on /dev/pts before we've had a
chance to populate it and it's then crashing on the mount.  Sigh...  I
think that's going to now have to wait for Serge or Daniel to comment
on.

> Col
>

> --
>
> Colin Guthrie