[systemd-devel] What exactly does 'systemctl hibernate/suspend' do? Request for better documentation.

Jakob Hetzelein nasenatmer at posteo.de
Tue Oct 30 03:44:57 PDT 2012

Hello,

On 30/10/12 01:26, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 29.10.12 10:24, Jakob Hetzelein (nasenatmer at posteo.de) wrote:
>
> There's actually some docs available about it, try:
>
>         systemctl help systemd-suspend.service

I knew the man page before and it is there that I felt the essential
information to be missing. I found a hint on the discussion page on
systemd in the arch wiki, and that's clearly not advantageous.

> Of course, the missing link is figuring out that this is pulled in by
> "suspend.target", and that "systemctl suspend" just pulls that it.

Yeah, but as soon as users start to understand systemd's way of work
they should grasp that.

> I have now changed the systemctl man page to add the information so that
> people actually can discover the missing connection. (not commited yet
> though.)
>
> (I have also updated the systemd-suspend.service man page a tiny bit to
> explain that it at its core echoes "disk" into /sys/power/state).

Thanks!

Best, Jakob
--
Digitally signed with PGP key 0x3D23016E