[systemd-devel] live remote logging?

Mirco Tischler mt-ml at gmx.de
Wed Oct 31 07:54:10 PDT 2012

2012/10/31 Mirco Tischler <mt-ml at gmx.de>:
> 2012/10/31 Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com>:
>> Additionally, on the server, it seems like it makes sense to use the journal
>> files for the log storage.
>>   1) how would log rotation be managed (discard old logs)?
> systemd does log rotation based on available disc space, in order to
> keep a maximum of log entries.
> It rotates logs when they grow beyond a certain limit, and when a
> maximum of disk space is used deletes the oldest file.
> The options to configure this and default values are explained in the
> journald.conf man page.

Sorry, just now I get what you're talking about here ;-)
Log rotation is done by journald and the limits are checked before
each append. All other applications writing to /var/log/journal should
do the same. I guess that rules out 1) and 2).
Mounting the server /var/log/journal on the clients and configuring
the clients to use the same limits as the server seems ok, as all
writers can see the whole data and do the rotation themselves.