[systemd-devel] live remote logging?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Oct 31 09:53:39 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Cliff Brake at 31/10/12 16:50 did gyre and gimble:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com
> <mailto:cliff.brake at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Mirco Tischler <mt-ml at gmx.de
>     <mailto:mt-ml at gmx.de>> wrote:
>

>         >   2) can the systemd-journal-gatewayd be used on a independent
>         directory of
>         > log files?
>         systemd-journal-gatewayd doesn't take any arguments, so it currently
>         seems not possible.
>

>     I assume because sd_journal_open_directory() exists, the C API
>     can be used on a random directory of journal files (for instance on
>     a Ubuntu server), so that is how I would likely process the files on
>     the server.
>

> Is it safe to just dump all the journal files from multiple machines
> into one server directory?

Each of the journal files are kept in their own directly. That directory
is the machine id of the given machine (as specified by /etc/machine-id
file).

So rather than "all in one folder" you should keep them all in their
separate machine-id-based sub-directories. You can then use journalctl
-m to automatically merged all the logs from all the machines into out
stream of log output.

HTHs

Col

--