[systemd-devel] systemd intentional behaviour? (signals)

Alex Elsayed eternaleye+usenet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:52:49 PDT 2012

Lennart Poettering wrote:

> If we are crashed we are crashed.
>
> I looked into reexecing systemd in this case, but unfortunately the
> kernel does not allow reexecing of PID 1 after it crashed. Not entirely
> sure what's going on there. But even if that worked I am not sure this
> would be too useful since most of its state would be lost...
>
> Lennart

Once cgroup xattrs go in, would serializing state into xattrs in the cgroup
tree on-the-fly be an option? Eliminating the need to reactively serialize
on reexec by proactively serializing in a continuous manner might resolve
the loss-of-state issue.

There would still need to be a way to reexec PID 1 on crash, but at least
state would be saved.