[systemd-devel] gps.target

shawn shawnlandden at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 00:35:32 PDT 2012

I noticed that "gps.target" (along with: fingerprint.target,
wireless.target, netdevice.target) were in the proposed feature list,
and I am wonder how this would work.

most usb gps devices, which are the vast majority of devices out there
and supported by gpsd, are usb-to-serial converters, and by product:id
and in udev are  not distinguishable as gps devices: udev must call gpsd
which will then probe the device and figure out if it is a gps device
before letting go of it.

Anyways, I was wonder what the gps.target idea was--what would trigger
it? gpsd through this udev stuff already launches automatically when a
usb gps device is inserted (although it never shuts down by itsself)
--
-Shawn Landden