[systemd-devel] nspawn does not mount /dev/shm

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 17 02:30:55 PDT 2012

On Sun, 16.09.12 17:08, Kay Sievers (kay at vrfy.org) wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 09:57:00PM +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> >>
> >> systemd-nspawn does not create a tmpfs mount to /dev/shm. Is this an
> >> oversight or intentional?
> > nspawn has recently grown abilities to add /dev/fd, /dev/stdin,
> > /dev/stdout, /dev/stderr. I think that /dev/shm should be added to.
> > I pushed a change to do that to git now.
>
> Ugh, /dev is a tmpfs already. Why do we want another one on top?

Probably makes sense since people might want different mount options on
it, later (applied via fstab), and it might be a good idea to separate
the world-writable /dev/shm from /dev, for quota reasons. (I mean, you
know the DoS, and in this case it is simply to fix by using a separate
mount for this...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.