[systemd-devel] Handling lid close in logind?

Joachim Banzhaf joachim.banzhaf at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 18 10:00:00 PDT 2012

Am 18.09.2012 14:10, schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> - user closes lid
> > > - polkit dialog is shown (not useful because the lid is closed)
> > > - we beep a few times to cause the user to open the lid and see
the dialog
> > > - if the lid is not opened, we forcefully suspend after a few seconds

Since you are talking about me (a user) and I am not sure if this is
about just one possible configuration or some hardcoded behaviour:
Dialogs and beeps are definitely not what I want to happen on these events.

- If I close the lid I want the monitor to go off and after a short
while (shorter than usual) the screen should be locked. No suspend!
  Would be cool if this works for text consoles, too, btw.
- If I press the sleep button, I want the notebook to go to sleep as
advertised - thats what I asked for, so no questions.
  It would be ok though to inform me if (e.g. network-) activity is
detected and give an option to cancel the sleep for a short time.
  Could save the long running remote copy I forgot about, but the
default action is just going to sleep as requested.
- If the battery is nearly dangerously low I want a warning.
- If the battery is dangerously low I want the notebook to hibernate.
- If the notebook overheats I want a warning and power throttled.
- If the notebook still overheats I want it to hibernate.

Although I think this is the only reasonable setting ( :-) ), other
users will want different things. Please let us have a choice.

Just my 2ct