[systemd-devel] [RFC] logind lid switch inhibitors

Matthew Monaco matt at 0x01b.net
Tue Sep 18 20:04:21 PDT 2012

On 09/18/2012 08:57 PM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't use any DEs but often close the lid while some background job
>> is running (compiler or whatever).
>
> Do you do that while on battery? If not, then I'd say that a good idea would be to suspend only if closing the lid while on battery, or if removing AC power while the lid is closed. Would that be OK for you?

No. Ignoring external monitors, the only reason I ever close my lid is to save
battery by turning off the screen and to make the laptop easier to carry, less
likely to break, less of a distraction in class... If I want to suspend, I'll do
it explicitly.

Please don't make any assumptions about what the user wants. Can't we have a way
to specify behavior in response to all of these button/lid events both on AC and
battery?