[systemd-devel] Can't get systemd-cryptsetup to automount my /home

Dennis Ek dennis.a.ek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 04:33:52 PDT 2012

First of all: I'm running the latest Arch Linux (complete with the latest
systemd and everything else) and I've encrypted both my / and /home.

Now, the problem is that I can't get my /home to automount once I've
mounted my /. My /etc/crypttab looks like this:
home     /dev/sda3     /etc/homepwd

I've created /etc/homepwd using
echo password > /etc/homepwd

And yes, I've entered the correct password.

When I boot I get dropped to a rescue shell because I can't mount /home.
Here's my journalctl output:
systemd-cryptsetup[293]: Invalid passphrase.
systemd-cryptsetup[293]: Set cipher aes, mode xts-plain, key size 512 bits
for device /dev/sda3.
systemd-cryptsetup[293]: Invalid passphrase.
systemd-cryptsetup[293]: Too many attempts.

I've tried playing with the permissions (even did a chmod 777), but I still
can't get systemd-cryptsetup to realize that the file contains the correct
password.

So, what to do?