[systemd-devel] [opensuse-factory] [RFC] sysvinit: plan B

Michal Vyskocil mvyskocil at suse.cz
Mon Sep 24 01:16:47 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:01:00AM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le dimanche 23 septembre 2012 à 06:23 +0200, Jan Engelhardt a écrit :
> > On Friday 2012-09-07 15:43, Michal Vyskocil wrote
> > [http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-09/msg00396.html]:
> > >
> > >Name: vsftpd-sysv
> > >Supplements: packagageand(sysvinit:vsftpd)
> > >Requires: sysvinit
> > >Requires: vsftpd
> > >Source0:  vsftpd.init
> >
> > It would seem more advantageous to change the systemd package, and
> > provide an extra binary there that reuses the parser code to
> > give users the possibility to start/stop/restart programs using
> > unit files in a non-systemd environment.
> > .
>
> First, I don't see the point of doing a separate package at all for
> sysvinit compatibility.

Hi,

The separate package will split the responsibility from regular openSUSE
maintainer/packager when systemd will be the only one possibility. I
personally see no value in shipping unused sysv script once sysv will be
deprecated.

> Second, if people want to use .service, they should use systemd. I don't
> want us to spend time in doing some strange backport from one new
> technology to another one when plan to drop.

AFACS Debian plans to have some .service -> init scripts converter,
but that is a job for people willing to maintain sysvinit.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil