[systemd-devel] Have timers fire after boot is complete

Christian Seiler christian at iwakd.de
Thu Sep 27 04:56:08 PDT 2012

Am 27.09.2012 12:07, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 09/27/2012 08:33 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:
>> one of the most-requested features that is not present in systemd
>> currently is a true rc.local-type functionality that runs after all
>> other services.
>
> Any particular reason why those user just dont create type oneshot
> unit then order it as they see fit with after and or before?

Let's say I have a couple of servers lying around, each with different
services installed. Now I want to distribute a single unit file that is
always run at the end sending me an email that the system has rebooted
and sending me all log messages generated in the boot process so I can
see if everything went correctly. Obviously, I can add lots and lots of
different units to After= of that service, but as soon as some other
service is added to the list, I have to adjust it. Also, the After=
dependency isn't really correct here: Such a script doesn't
specifically depend on e.g. After=apache.service (it doesn't really
care about that) but rather something that should run at a certain
time, thus the idea of using a timer for this feature.

Christian