[systemd-devel] Keeping console messages on VT1

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Thu Sep 27 10:28:14 PDT 2012

On 09/27/12 01:22, Mirco Tischler wrote:
> 2012/9/27 Henrik /KaarPoSoft <henrik at kaarposoft.dk>:
>> On 09/27/12 00:05, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>>> It is not logind that starts login, but getty. You want to disable
>>> getty at tty1.service, and enable say getty at tty2.service instead.
>>>
>>> -t
>> DOH!
>>
>> If I move
>> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service
>> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty2.service
>> this annoyance is gone.
>>
>> Thank you, Tom!
>>
>> (but of course I still get console messages on the current VT, not VT1)
>>

>> /Henrik
> I haven't tried this and maybe it won't work, but you can set TTYPath
> to /dev/tty1 in journald.conf. But I suppose you will still get kernel
> messages, as they don't go through the journal (quiet on the kernel
> commandline gets rid of the unimportant ones).
>
> Mirco
Tried TTYPath in journald.conf and it works just as you expected.

Then I booted the kernel with console=tty1 but kernel messages still
come on the active TTY.

But strangely: if I remove TTYPath from journald.conf and boot with
console=tty1 then kernel messages come on the active TTY, but journal
messages stay on tty1. I can't really grok this...

Another problem is, that if I use
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty2.service then
graphical.target may still put X11 on tty1, so the console messages are
hidden.

Since this is all just a minor annoyance anyway, maybe I should just
leave everthing as default and live with it )-:
There is always ctrl-L to redraw the screen.

/Henrik