[systemd-devel] when will mount / df get fixed?

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Sat Sep 29 13:11:36 PDT 2012

On Saturday 2012-09-29 18:28, Reindl Harald wrote:

>This "totally idiotic bug" is caused by "harmless" change of
>/etc/mtab to symlink requested by systemd guys... and solution still
>discussed upstream...

Crossflash: Debian pretty much always had it a symlink IIRC; and on
Solaris, mtab was a similarly special file - not that either of the two
use systemd! The extra vfsmounts certainly were not a problem to them.

What is the actual problem? That `df` no longer shows only
user-initiated mounts? Well, even distros were not consistent in their
use of `mount -n` to "hide" system-initiated mounts by not entering them
into mtab. If that is however what is ultimately decided, you can use, I
think, an option in fstab like comment=user-initiated and try convincing
the GNU df folks to understand this option that should then be present
in utab, the successor of mtab.