[systemd-devel] dbus user services using the session bus

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Wed Apr 3 14:12:47 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Kok, Auke-jan H
> <auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Matthew Monaco <matt at 0x01b.net> wrote:
>>> Here are my user session units. I have a few dbus activated examples
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mmonaco/systemd-user-session
>>>
>>> I have one target for an i3 session and another for an openbox/cairo-dock
>>> session. I can freely switch between them without losing my active windows. I'll
>>> be testing gnome-3.8 soon so I'll be adding something that uses gnome-session.
>>
>> Would you be willing to contribute some of these (the dbus activation
>> units for instance) back to user-session-units? There are quite a few
>> folks using work based on user-session-units (a few distro's package
>> it) and getting these in a central repository would help a lot of
>> folks.
>
> Auke,
>
> On a somewhat related note, any thoughts on merging
> user-session at .service back into user at .service upstream? Is there
> anything holding this back, except for lack of reviews?

two things I'd like to solve before they are basically identical:

1) setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and XDG_RUNTIME_DIR and friends,
if needed. We should probably have the xorg.service use `systemctl
--user set-environment DISPLAY ...` or use another method to feeding
the user session the proper DISPLAY (for e.g. gdm users, through
loginctl).

2) figure out what to put in /etc/pam.d/systemd-shared. This file is
currently not shipped at all by systemd but user at .service refers to
it, and without at least including pam_systemd.so things are going to
not work. Should we make this include pam_env.so? any others?

nothing is holding it back, really, just time and creativity to come
to good solutions.

Auke