[systemd-devel] Failed to iterate through journal: Bad message

Britton Kerin britton.kerin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 10:16:50 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 03.04.13 09:41, Britton Kerin (britton.kerin at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Sadly it makes the journal totally useless for me.
>>
>> I gather its fixed but I'm just wondering if there is any way to fix
>> it in place,
>> or if I need to try to build the latest version and if so I'd like to
>> get a general
>> idea if that's going to be practical or if the whole OS will need rewired along
>> with it.
>
> Which version of systemd are you running? Which distribution are you
> running?

    root at bboneumh:~# journalctl --version
    systemd 44
    angstrom
    +PAM +LIBWRAP -AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA +SYSVINIT -LIBCRYPTSETUP
    root at bboneumh:~# cat /proc/version
    Linux version 3.2.28 (koen at Angstrom-F16-vm-rpm) (gcc version 4.5.4
20120305 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 Tue Sep 11 13:08:30 CEST 2012
    root at bboneumh:~#

This is what ended up shipping on beaglebone rev. A6

> Fedora usually backports all important fixes to older versions.
>
> It might be a good idea to grab the journal files that cause this and
> view them on a different host/VM with an up-to-date Fedora 18 to see if
> they can be parsed cleanly with a newer journal version. If not it would

I took a shot at compiling systemd-200, but the build failed like this:

  CC       src/udev/libudev_core_la-udev-builtin-input_id.lo
src/udev/udev-builtin-input_id.c: In function 'test_key':
src/udev/udev-builtin-input_id.c:166:38: error: 'BTN_TRIGGER_HAPPY'
undeclared (first use in this function)
src/udev/udev-builtin-input_id.c:166:38: note: each undeclared
identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [src/udev/libudev_core_la-udev-builtin-input_id.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

> be great if you could maybe send the files that cause this to me
> personally, so that I can try to figure out what causes the parsing
> problems.

I'm attaching the dir that show up in my /var/log/journal/.  Playing with it
more, I'm not 100% sure its skipping all subsequent messages.  Someone on the
internet said it did for him, it sounds like the sort of error that might,
and I'm not seeing what I expect in the journal (but that might be because
I'm screwing up some other way).

Britton