[systemd-devel] Add ARCH parameter to /etc/os-release

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sat Apr 6 15:37:49 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:41:44PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.04.2013 22:37, schrieb Askar Safin:
> >> What is "primary arch"?  The arch of init? ls? the package manager?
> > As far as I know today there is no true symmetric multiarch. Every multiarched system has one clear primary arch. And several additional arches. So, today (I think) the parameter ARCH should content all arches and the primary arch should go first. If this situation changes in the future, then ARCH can be list of equal arches.
> >
> >> usually the kernel ones?
> > Yes, this is good idea. But then, of course, this is arch of this system's own kernel, not arch of current running kernel.
>
> i would wonder if this below is not predictable the arch from the running kernel
>
> [harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ /usr/bin/uname -i
> x86_64
Exactly. Current arch is easily accessible through standard tools,
e.g. uname(1) and uname (2), and there's little point in putting
this in a static file which can become outdated on next boot. Also,
with debian/ubuntu multiarch, the difference between primary arch
and the rest is quite thin.

Zbyszek