[systemd-devel] /var/log/journal/

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 8 05:16:10 PDT 2013

Am 08.04.2013 14:09, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Fri, 05.04.13 22:02, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:
>
>>> We have decided to turn on persistancy in F19, and that's done via %post
>>> hooks in the RPM.
>>>
>>> If you want to turn this off, set Storage=none or Storage=volatile in
>>> journald.conf
>>
>> great - does F17 and F18 understand the option too to prepare
>> any machine under my control and forget the issue?
>
> Yes they should. In the worst case they should just warn about it but go
> on.

F17 has /etc/systemd/systemd-journald.conf and does not support it
F18/F19 has /etc/systemd/journald.conf and does support it
so it seems to be fine prepare machines for both versions

>> what's the exact difference between "none" and "volatile"?

thank you for your reply!

> "none" turns off the journal's storage entirely, in which case it is
> still highly useful for forwarding all logs from STDOUT/STDERR of the
> various daemons to syslog, but won't store anything at all
> anymore. "systemctl status" won't show you any log entries in this
> case, and "journalctl" will show nothing but a big void.

is it possible to configure "forwarding all logs from STDOUT/STDERR
to syslog" globally without care of the daemons systemd-units?

> "volatile" will still allow the journal to log into a small ring buffer
> in /run. In this case "systemctl status" and "journalctl" will show a
> bit of useful log data still (as on F17, F18), but the logs are quickly
> rotated away usually, since /run is relatively small. This means
> "systemctl status" might be useful shortly after executing commands on
> the service, but that's it

personally i would perfer "none" if the above is possible and stick
completly at rsyslog because a lot of filters and redirects in use