[systemd-devel] journal file corruption

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Mon Apr 8 12:06:32 PDT 2013

I'm running systemd-200, in journal-only mode (i.e. no
rsyslog). My journald.conf is all "factory defaults" apart
from setting SystemMaxUse=16M (and this limit is not yet met).
My /var/log/journal/<id> contains 12 files (dated from March
31 to the present); and of these journalctl --verify tells me
6 contain "Invalid object contents".

I put some debugging statements into journal-verify.c and the
problem is the same in all 6 cases: the test that fails (in
journal_file_object_verify()) is

if (le64toh(o->data.entry_offset) <= 0)

And the status of the object in question is

o->data.entry_offset = 0
o->object.flags = 0
o->object.type = 1

Any idea what's happening here?

(Additional info: The machine in question is a laptop,
rebooted very day. The system is "pure systemd" in the sense
of having no init scripts other than systemd service files.
halt and reboot are symlinks to systemctl. All shutdowns
over this period have been clean, so far as I can tell.)

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics