[systemd-devel] New mount restriction? -- from Systemd policy?

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Thu Apr 11 23:42:15 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Linda Walsh <suse at tlinx.org> wrote:
> Is it something that systemd needed to have?  I.e. if it is made
> private would systemd care?  If not, why would it have
> been made shared?
>
> Maybe a default in mount for root changed?

Having the default mount propagation be "shared" solves some
situations where a configuration item (say, PrivateTmp=) requires
spawning a service in a Linux kernel file system namespace. Other
mounts that happen post-service start aren't visible to the service,
despite being visible and functional to administrators. It's hard to
debug, and it won't show any obvious warnings or errors in logs.

I don't believe making root private breaks systemd itself. I think it
just makes other administration potentially confusing.

--
David Strauss