[systemd-devel] systemd-readahead and often used applications

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Apr 14 11:36:12 PDT 2013

Am 14.04.2013 20:08, schrieb Mantas Mikulėnas:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> is there any way to get informations what is "collected"
>
> /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-readahead analyze

thanks for that, alias set

[root at rh:~]$ which readahead_analyze
alias readahead_analyze='/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-readahead analyze'
        /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-readahead

>> and where are the informations stored?
> /.readahead

thanks, i discovered this after searching around

>> locate seems not to show any related file
> updatedb

well, i did not expect it directly in / and so missed the first match

remeians only the problem that the collector stops after 2 minutes
and so the timer and it's settings are quite useless currently as
also that if you do not login within the timespan you lose readahead
of the desktop and the 3600s may bring the problem that too much
useless stuff is covered

IMHO there should be a way to enforce readahead for a defined set

practical example:
i update / reboot my home-machine regulary from the office
well, there will happen no graphical login after that
but that doe snot mean my first action at evening is not start KDE
as well as firefox, thunderbird, kopete and so on

yes, the "preload" package would cover this, but it is badly
maintained and is still missing a systemd-unit and having two
readahead/preload mechanisms leaves a bad taste compared with
one well working solution