[systemd-devel] systemd-readahead and often used applications

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 15 10:59:51 PDT 2013

Am 15.04.2013 19:53, schrieb Kok:
>> thanks, i will give it a try
>> why not "Type=forking"?
>>
>> in my expierience a service works with simple/forking and only
>> one of them while i must say my low-level understanding may
>> not be enouh to realize what to use.............
>
> The daemon doesn't need to do extra work to fork, and systemd won't
> need to do all the work associated with tracking a forked process -
> it's a lot less work, thus more efficient, and actually more robust

hi

does this mean in recent systemd-versions it is no longer needed
to use "Type=forking" at all while it was a must for some servcies
in early versions?

i thougt a service which forks by itself and not defined
with "Type=forking" is killed after the PID changed because
systemd thinks the main-PID died

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl status preload.service
preload.service - Adaptive readahead daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/preload.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mo 2013-04-15 19:55:10 CEST; 1min 45s ago
  Process: 795 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/preload --verbose 1 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 801 (preload)
   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/preload.service
           └─801 /usr/sbin/preload --verbose 1