[systemd-devel] Per-instance override with foobar.service.d

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Tue Apr 16 11:16:17 PDT 2013

On 12/04/13 14:00, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>>> foobar at .service and foobar at .service.d/myinstance.conf
>>> foobar at .service and foobar at myinstance.service.d/myinstance.conf
> This would be possible, if somebody implements it.
>
>>> which don't work so I guess this isn't implemented. If so, would something
>>> like that be a reasonable request to be considered ?
>>>
>>> I was thinking...
>>> foobar at .service
>>> foobar at .service.d/myfirstinstance.conf
>>> foobar at .service.d/mysecondinstance.conf
> The idea is that different sources (rpms, administrator, whatever)
> provide snippets that are then merged. So there's no central "registration"
> of snippet names, and the namespace cannot be reused for instances.
What about this though?

  foobar at myfirstinstance.service.d/...
  foobar at mysecondinstance.service./...
>>> where the relevant .conf would be selected based on the instance name.
>>>
>>> I was also wondering why the need for a separate sub-directory when there's
>>> only one file inside it. Could a file like "foobar.service.conf" be
>>> considered as an alternative  (and, perhaps, foobar at myinstance.service.conf)
> There can be multiple files.
Sure there can be multiple files, but I did suggest this as an
alternative when there is only one file.
I'm finding that I have lots of examples where I have a directory
containing one file and it seems like an unnecessary complexity in that
scenario.