[systemd-devel] Lid close event delivered delayed

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Tue Apr 16 21:58:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

something I observed with systemd-195 is that the LidClose event is
delivered when switching from X to console while the lid is closed. This
is unexpected, and what I expected is instead that nothing occurs.
Approximate steps to reproduce, IIRC:
1. Plug in external monitor
2. Boot machine. By way of KMS, output will be cloned to the big screen.
3. When the X desktop is finally running, close laptop lid.
   (Because the picture is also cloned in this case)
   In XFCE's power settings, I have set that LidClose does not
   do anything - for obvious reason.
<let any amount of time pass>
4. Switch to tty1
5. systemd does an S2RAM.

So in other words, if you worked for an hour in X and then switch, you
get a suspend event out of nowhere without warning notice.

# journalctl -n ...
Apr 17 06:41:30 nakamura.inai.de systemd-logind[502]: Suspending...
Apr 17 06:41:30 nakamura.inai.de systemd[1]: Starting Sleep.
Apr 17 06:41:30 nakamura.inai.de systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Apr 17 06:41:30 nakamura.inai.de systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
Apr 17 06:41:30 nakamura.inai.de systemd-sleep[5315]: Suspending
system...

(Now I also need to find the knob to turn off suspend in systemd; this
was not here before in systemd-44.)