[systemd-devel] systemd-readahead and often used applications

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 17 12:36:02 PDT 2013

On Sat, 13.04.13 13:27, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> Hi
>
> as far as i understand "systemd-readahead" is catching what is
> loaded directly due boot and 10 seconds after, well that's fine

I changed this to 30 now, btw, since 10s turned out to be too short on
many systems.

> but is there a possibility to "feed" it with additional applications?
>
> example of the real life here:
>
>  * the machine get powered on in the morning
>  * due this sitting in the kitchen with a coffee
>  * after that login in KDE, plasma and kopete are started
>  * finally Thunderbird and Firefox are started
>  * mostly Eclipse is the next
>  * the machine has 16 GB RAM
>
> it would make pretty much sense that Thunderbird, Firefox and
> so on are pre-loaded or at least their libraries after the
> login-manager appears to use the time between boot and login

As mentioned you can change the time readahead keeps running. In the
long run I think the right approach for the desktops is to simply
re-login after a reboot everybody who was logged in before it, and then
activate the screen lock by default for them.

The other thing I'd like to make happen is that we can collect
username/password when we prompt for the HDD key, and use that first for
decrypting the harddisk and then for authenticating the user. THis would
require us to keep HDD passphrase and user passphrase in sync, but that
should be totally doable and is probably deseriable anyway...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.